Borthwick Catalogue

Acomb Primitive Methodist Chapel

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Acomb Primitive Methodist Chapel

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • Sanctuary Chapel, Acomb

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1846-[1960s]

History

A chapel was originally built on the Green at Acomb in 1846 for the joint use of the Primitive Methodist and Free Church congregation. Around 1860 the Primitive Methodists purchased the building outright and carried out a number of alterations before they re-opened it as a Primitive Methodist Chapel in 1860. The opening ceremony included a performance by the Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Chapel choir.

Originally part of the York Circuit of the Primitive Methodist Connexion, the Front Street chapel transferred to the new Victoria Bar Circuit after the original York Circuit was divided into two in 1883.

The chapel site was sold to the Society of Friends in 1911 and a new Primitive Methodist chapel was opened on Front Street, Acomb, in 1912, which later became known as Sanctuary Chapel.

In 1947 the congregation of the Sanctuary Chapel united with that of the Acomb, Wesleyan Trinity Chapel and Sanctuary Chapel ceased to be used for worship. The building was demolished in the 1960s.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

Primitive Methodist Connexion, York, Victoria Bar Circuit (1883-1935)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

hierarchical

Type of relationship

Primitive Methodist Connexion, York, Victoria Bar Circuit controls Acomb Primitive Methodist Chapel

Dates of the relationship

1883-c 1932

Description of relationship

Related entity

Primitive Methodist Connexion, York Circuit (1822-1883)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

hierarchical

Type of relationship

Primitive Methodist Connexion, York Circuit controls Acomb Primitive Methodist Chapel

Dates of the relationship

1846-1883

Description of relationship

Related entity

Acomb Methodist Church (1964-)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

temporal

Type of relationship

Acomb Methodist Church is the successor of Acomb Primitive Methodist Chapel

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Related entity

Acomb Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (1879-1964)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Type of relationship

Acomb Wesleyan Methodist Chapel amalgamated with Acomb Primitive Methodist Chapel

Dates of the relationship

1947

Description of relationship

Control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

GB193

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAAR(CPF): International Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons and Families, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2003); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created by S. A. Shearn, 17.11.16.

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

'Protestant Nonconformity', in A History of the County of York: the City of York, ed. P M Tillott (London, 1961).

"OPENING OF A PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL AT ACOMB." York Herald 17 Nov. 1860: 7. British Library Newspapers. Web. 17 Nov. 2016.

Maintenance notes