Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
- Albion Chapel
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
York, Albion Street Methodist Chapel was opened in 1816. Situated at the corner of Albion Street and Skeldergate, it could accommodate 700 people. A Sunday School opened there the following year.
By the mid nineteenth century the building was deemed too small for the rapidly growing population south of the river Ouse and around the railway station and workshops. A new and larger chapel opened in 1856 on Priory Street, eventually superseding the Albion Street chapel, which was sold by 1861.
The chapel was part of what was then a single York Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion from its foundation to its closure.
The chapel building was used as commercial premises and later demolished in the twentieth century.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Identifier of the related entity
Category of the relationship
Type of relationship
Dates of the relationship
Description of relationship
Access points area
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
'Protestant Nonconformity', in A History of the County of York: the City of York, ed. P M Tillott (London, 1961).
"LAYING THE FOUNDATION STONE OF A NEW WESLEYAN CHAPEL IN YORK." York Herald 14 Apr. 1855: 6. British Library Newspapers. Web. 31 Oct. 2016.