Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The church of St Mary, Alne, was a rectory in the patronage of the Treasurer of York Minster, to whom it was appropriated in 1311, although the church building itself dates to at least the twelfth century. A vicarage was ordained there the same year and augmented in 1394.
As lord of Alne the Treasurer held peculiar temporal and spiritual jurisdiction over the town of Alne and all townships within the parish. At the Dissolution of the Monasteries, the patronage passed to the Falconbergh family whilst the lordship was granted to Edward, Duke of Somerset before reverting to the Crown.
The parish of Alne includes the villages of Alne, Aldwark, Flawith, Tholthorpe, Tollerton and Youlton. Following the dissolution of the Treasurership of York in 1547, it remained subject to the jurisdiction of the peculiar court of Alne and Tollerton until the nineteenth century.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Identifier of the related entity
Category of the relationship
Type of relationship
Dates of the relationship
Description of relationship
Access points area
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
George Lawton, ‘Collections relative to Churches and Chapels within the Diocese of York’ (London, 1842).
'Parishes: Alne', in A History of the County of York North Riding: Volume 2, ed. William Page (London, 1923).