Church of England, Dalby, St. Peter, parish

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Church of England, Dalby, St. Peter, parish

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

fl 12th century-

History

The church of St Peter at Dalby dates to the early twelfth century. The advowson of the church was held by St Mary’s Abbey, York, from this time until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century when it reverted to the Crown. Between the seventeenth and nineteenth century, patronage was exercised by the Lumley family.

The living was augmented in 1870 through Queen Anne's Bounty. The parish covered the hamlets of Dalby and Skewsby and the area was often known as Dalby cum Skewsby.

The church building, which appears to have been previously dedicated to St Mary, was expanded in the thirteenth and fifteenth, and was restored in 1886 by James Demaine and Walter Brierley of York.

The parish was united with that of Whenby in the early 1980s and today is known as Dalby with Whenby. It is one of six parishes within the Howardian Group benefice.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

Church of England, Whenby, St. Martin, parish (fl 1250-1983)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Related entity

St Mary's Abbey, York (1088-1539)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Related entity

Brierley Groom, architects of York (1753-1960)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

GB 193

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAAR(CPF): International Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons and Families, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2003); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created by S. A. Shearn, 03.02.16.

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

George Lawton, ‘Collections relative to Churches and Chapels within the Diocese of York’ (London, 1842).

'Parishes: Dalby with Skewsby', in 'A History of the County of York North Riding', Volume 2, ed. William Page (London, 1923).

C.C. Webb, ‘A Guide to the Parish Records in the Borthwick Institute of Historical Research’ (York, 1987).

"RESTORATION OF DALBY CHURCH." York Herald, 31 July 1886, p. 3. British Library Newspapers, tinyurl.galegroup.com/tinyurl/4oXSgX. Accessed 10 May 2017.

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC