Church of England, Drax, St. Peter & St. Paul, parish

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Church of England, Drax, St. Peter & St. Paul, parish

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

fl 1086-

History

The existence of a church in the manor of Drax is recorded in Domesday in the eleventh century, although the present parish church dates to the early twelfth. The manor and church, together with Little Airmyn, Barlow, and Camblesforth, were held by Ralph de Pagnell. In c.1128 the church was granted to the newly founded Augustinian Priory at Long Drax by his son, William. It was appropriated to the Priory in 1315.

Following the Dissolution of the Monasteries the advowson of the church passed to the Crown and it was held as a curacy until 1778, when the first vicar was instituted. The benefice was augmented in 1775 and 1786 through Queen Anne’s Bounty, and again in 1810, 1813 and 1814 through Parliamentary grants.

The parish church was expanded in the fourteenth century and was later restored by Charles Hodgson Fowler in 1896. Some of the windows are believed to have been transferred to the church from Drax Priory.

The parish historically included Drax, Long Drax (also known as Langrick), Camblesforth, Little Airmyn and Newland. Today Drax is part of the parish and united benefice of Carlton and Drax which includes the church of St Mary at Carlton, a peculiar of the Prebendary of Snaith until the nineteenth century, as well as Long Drax, Newland and Camblesforth.

Drax parish is also notable as the location of Drax Charity School, now known as The Read School.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

Church of England, Carlton by Snaith, St. Mary, parish (1861-)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Related entity

The Read School (1667-1902)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Related entity

Fowler, Charles Hodgson, 1840-1910, architect (1840-1910)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

GB 193

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAAR(CPF): International Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons and Families, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2003); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created by S. A. Shearn, 03.02.16.

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

William Farrer & Charles Travis Clay, 'Early Yorkshire Charters', Volume 6 (Cambridge, 1939).

George Lawton, ‘Collections relative to Churches and Chapels within the Diocese of York’ (London, 1842).

C.C. Webb, ‘A Guide to the Parish Records in the Borthwick Institute of Historical Research’ (York, 1987).

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC