Church of England, Stockton on the Forest, Holy Trinity, parish

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Church of England, Stockton on the Forest, Holy Trinity, parish

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1738-

History

Stockton on the Forest was a chapelry within the parish and Prebend of Bugthorpe until 1738 when it was augmented through Queen Anne’s Bounty and became a separate ecclesiastical parish. It remained subject to the peculiar jurisdiction of the Prebend of Bugthorpe however until the nineteenth century. In 1840 the advowson of the church was transferred from the Prebend to the Archbishop of York.

The earliest reference to a chapel at Stockton was in 1276. The medieval building was demolished in 1808 and replaced by a new church. This was partially rebuilt in 1843 and then more substantially rebuilt in 1895 by architects Naylor and Sale of Derby, retaining the earlier nave but adding a new chancel, tower, clergy and choir vestries and an organ chamber. The church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity.

In 1939 Stockton on the Forest became the mother church of Warthill and Holtby parishes following the union of the three benefices. An alteration to the boundaries with Huntington took place on the 23rd August 1967.

Since 2012 Stockton on the Forest has been part of the benefice of Rural East York, which also includes Dunnington, Holtby and Warthill.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

Church of England, Warthill, St. Mary, parish (fl 13th century-)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Related entity

Church of England, Holtby, Holy Trinity, parish (fl 12th century-)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Related entity

Church of England, Bugthorpe, St. Andrew, parish (fl 12th century-)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

GB 193

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAAR(CPF): International Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons and Families, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2003); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created by S. A. Shearn, 17.03.17.

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

George Lawton, ‘Collections relative to Churches and Chapels within the Diocese of York’ (London, 1842).

William Page, ed. 'Parishes: Stockton-on-the-Forest', in A History of the County of York North Riding: Volume 2, ed. William Page (London, 1923).

C.C. Webb, ‘A Guide to the Parish Records in the Borthwick Institute of Historical Research’ (York, 1987).

https://www.achurchnearyou.com/stockton-on-forest-holy-trinity/

"RESTORATION OF STOCKTON-ON-FOREST CHURCH." York Herald, 7 Jan. 1896, p. 3. British Library Newspapers, tinyurl.galegroup.com/tinyurl/4Y4nQ2. Accessed 17 Mar. 2017.

"RESTORATION OF STOCKTON-ON-FOREST CHURCH." York Herald, 11 Jan. 1896, p. 6. British Library Newspapers, tinyurl.galegroup.com/tinyurl/4Y4xk5. Accessed 17 Mar. 2017.

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC