Church of England, Thorganby, St. Helen, parish

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Church of England, Thorganby, St. Helen, parish

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

fl 1228-

History

The earliest reference to a church at Thorganby was in 1228 when Robert de Meynell claimed the advowson. By 1312 it was regarded as a chapelry of Aughton parish and was appropriated, together with Aughton Church, to the priory of Ellerton by 1351. It was held by the Priory until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century, after which it treated as a separate curacy and then described as a vicarage after 1872. From 1872 the patronage was held by the Dunnington-Jefferson family. The benefice was augmented in 1799 and 1817. In 1967 it was united with that of Skipwith.

The parish church, which is dedicated to St Helen, dates in part to the fourteenth and fifteenth century. The nave and porch were rebuilt in 1710 and the chancel was rebuilt in 1719. The church was restored and redecorated in 1948. The churchyard was extended in 1897 and 1966. The church includes a 1979 monument to John Dunnington-Jefferson, carved by Dick Reid, and the churchyard includes a 1970 ledger stone to Canon Hedley, designed by George Pace.

There was a ‘priest house’ at Thorganby by the late sixteenth century, which may have served as a vicarage. The curate lived in the village schoolhouse in the eighteenth century, and then at a new parsonage house from 1835. From 1880 the vicar lived at Thorganby House, and then at Hedley House from 1926 to 1967. Since then, the vicar has lived at Skipwith.

The parish includes the township of West Cottingwith. Today Thorganby is part of the benefice of Derwent Ings, which also includes East Cottingwith, Elvington, Sutton upon Derwent and Wheldrake.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

Armstrong, John ' Jack' Hammond, 1924-2007, Canon of York (1924-2007)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

1954-1959

Description of relationship

Related entity

Church of England, Aughton, All Saints, parish (fl 12th century-)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Related entity

Church of England, Skipwith, St. Helen, parish (fl 1086-)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Related entity

Reid, Richard 'Dick', b 1934, woodcarver and stonemason (1934-)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Related entity

Pace, George Gaze, 1915-1975, architect (1915-1975)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

GB 193

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAAR(CPF): International Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons and Families, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2003); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created by S. A. Shearn, 13.04.17.

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

A P Baggs, G H R Kent and J D Purdy, 'Thorganby', in A History of the County of York East Riding: Volume 3, Ouse and Derwent Wapentake, and Part of Harthill Wapentake, ed. K J Allison (London, 1976).

T. Bulmer & Co, 'History, topography, and directory of North Yorkshire' (1890).

George Lawton, ‘Collections relative to Churches and Chapels within the Diocese of York’ (London, 1842).

https://www.achurchnearyou.com/thorganby-st-helen/

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC