Church of England, Thormanby, St. Mary Magdalene, parish

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Church of England, Thormanby, St. Mary Magdalene, parish

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

fl 12th century-

History

The present parish church of Thormanby dates to the twelfth century. It may have belonged to the Augustinian double monastery at Marton, and was certainly given to the nuns of Marton when they separated to form the Priory of Moxby before 1167. The advowson was shared by the Prioress and the successors of the founder of Marton, Bertram de Bulmer, and remained divided following the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the sixteenth century. By the 1920s it was alternately in the gift of the Cayley and Dawney families.

The church is dedicated to St Mary Magdalene, although there appears to have been some confusion over this, with some early nineteenth century sources giving it as St Mary the Virgin and Thomas Bulmer recording a dedication to All Saints in 1890. The building dates to the twelfth century. A north aisle was added c.1200, but was later taken down. The south porch was added in the eighteenth century and the church tower was building in 1822. The north vestry was added c.1900. The church was repaired in 1955 by York architects Brierley, Syme and Leckenby. There was a Rectory House by 1859.

Today Thormanby is part of the benefice of Brafferton with Pilmoor and Myton on Swale.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

Brierley Groom, architects of York (1753-1960)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

GB 193

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAAR(CPF): International Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons and Families, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2003); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created by S. A. Shearn, 13.04.17.

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

T. Bulmer & Co, 'History, topography, and directory of North Yorkshire' (1890).

'Parishes: Thormanby', in A History of the County of York North Riding: Volume 2, ed. William Page (London, 1923).

'Houses of Austin nuns: Priory of Moxby', in A History of the County of York: Volume 3, ed. William Page (London, 1974).

T. Whellan, ‘History and Topography of the City of York: And the North Riding of Yorkshire: Embracing a General Review of the Early History of Great Britain, and a General History and Description of the County of York, Volume 2 (York, 1859).

https://www.achurchnearyou.com/thormanby-st-mary-magdalene/

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC