Church of England, Walton, St. Peter, parish

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Church of England, Walton, St. Peter, parish

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • Walton in Ainsty

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

fl 12th century-

History

There was a church at Walton from at least the twelfth century. It was originally a chapel of ease within the parish of Thorp Arch and was given to Nun Monkton Priory at an early date and later appropriated, with its mother church, to the collegiate Chapel of St Mary and the Holy Angels (also known as St Sepulchre’s) in York.

Parts of the present church, which is dedicated to St Peter, date to the twelfth century, although it was largely rebuilt in the fourteenth. The church was restored in 1891. In 1877 a new organ was installed, made by Foster and Andrews of Hull. The village was owned for many years by the Fairfax family. It later passed to the Lane Fox family of Bramham Park and it was George Lane Fox who funded the 1891 restoration work.

Walton appears to have been a separate parish by at least 1821. In 1977 the benefices of Thorpe Arch and Walton were united.

Today Walton is part of the parish of Lower Wharfe and benefice of Bramham, the latter of which also includes Thorp Arch, Bramham and Boston Spa.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

Church of England, Thorp Arch, All Saints, parish (fl 1086-)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

GB 193

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAAR(CPF): International Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons and Families, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2003); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created by S. A. Shearn, 23.01.17.

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

George Lawton, ‘Collections relative to Churches and Chapels within the Diocese of York’ (London, 1842).

William Page, ed. 'Collegiate churches: York (including York Minster)', in A History of the County of York: Volume 3 (London, 1974).

"RE-OPENING OF WALTON CHURCH." York Herald, 7 Aug. 1891, p. 5. British Library Newspapers, tinyurl.galegroup.com/tinyurl/4FaRu3. Accessed 23 Jan. 2017.

"NOTES & QUERIES." York Herald, 7 Nov. 1891, p. 4. British Library Newspapers, tinyurl.galegroup.com/tinyurl/4FaXk0. Accessed 23 Jan. 2017.

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC