Church of England, York, St. Luke, parish

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Church of England, York, St. Luke, parish

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1910-

History

The church of St Luke was built on Burton Stone Lane between 1900 and 1902 to serve as a chapel of ease to St Thomas. Designed by James Demaine and Walter Brierley, it was consecrated on 12 April 1902.

In 1910 it separated from St Thomas to join with York, St Olave parish. It was granted a license to conduct marriages in 1920 and in 1930 it was assigned a consolidated chapelry and separated from St Olave to form an independent parish. An alteration of the boundaries with St Philip and St James, Clifton occurred on the 27th Nov 1961.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

Church of England, York, St. Thomas, parish (1855-)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Related entity

Church of England, York, St. Philip and St. James, parish (1871-)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Related entity

Church of England, York, St. Olave, parish (fl 11th century-)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Related entity

Brierley Groom, architects of York (1753-1960)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

GB 193

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAAR(CPF): International Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons and Families, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2003); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created by S. A. Shearn, 20.11.15

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

George Lawton, ‘Collections relative to Churches and Chapels within the Diocese of York’ (London, 1842).

'The parish churches', in A History of the County of York: the City of York, ed. P M Tillott (London, 1961).

C.C. Webb, ‘A Guide to the Parish Records in the Borthwick Institute of Historical Research’ (York, 1987).

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC