Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Community of the Resurrection was established in 1892 as an Anglican religious order for men. In 1892 six priests founded a religious community in Pusey House, Oxford, led by Charles Gore who also became the first principal of the house. In 1893 Gore became the vicar of Radley and the Community relocated to Radley Vicarage; in 1898 it relocated permanently to Mirfield in Yorkshire where it is still based today.
Brethren of the Community follow a daily routine of prayer and worship and engage in pastoral, evangelistic, educational and other charitable works for the advancement of religion in the UK and abroad. Five of the six founding members were members of the Christian Social Union, a group dedicated to the remedying of poverty and social injustice, and the Community has retained a strong commitment to social action.
In 1902 Charles Gore was appointed Bishop of Worcester and Walter Howard Frere succeeded him as principal at Mirfield, a position he held until 1913 and then resumed 1916-1922. The Community underwent considerable expansion under Frere’s leadership. In 1902 the Community opened The College of the Resurrection, a theological training college for men without means, and in 1904 they built a hostel in Leeds for ordinands who received part of their instruction at the University there. In 1903 the Fraternity of Companions was established for lay people who shared the beliefs of the Community.
The Community also had a house is London from 1914, the Priory of St Paul, and a retreat house in Sussex and later Cambridgeshire. In 1911 the foundations of the new Church of the Resurrection were laid at Mirfield, with construction completed in 1938.
The Community also work outside of the UK. In 1902 William Carter, Bishop of Pretoria in South Africa, invited the brethren of the Community to help rebuild the church in his diocese in the aftermath of the Boer War. As a result, three brethren founded a house in Johannesburg offering theological training to local Africans.
In 1906 the Community took over responsibility for St John’s College, an Anglican school for boys in the same city, and in 1911 they established St Peter’s Theological College in the suburb of Rosettenville. In 1934 they were asked to run the parish of Christ the King in the suburb of Sophiatown.
In the second half of the twentieth century the Community were involved in the struggle to end Apartheid in South Africa, most notably through the work of respected anti-apartheid activist Trevor Huddleston, Bishop of Stepney and a member of the Community since 1939.
The Community have also ministered in Southern Rhodesia, now Zimbabwe, where they ran a mission in Penhalonga between 1914 and 1983, and Barbados in the West Indies where they ran Codrington Theological College between 1955 and 1969.
Today the Community of the Resurrection continues to play an active role in community life through ministry and education. In 1998 the Community opened The Mirfield Centre, an educational centre for lay people which has since become the centre of the work of Wakefield School of Ministry. In 2004 the Theological College became an independent Church of England training institution.
As of 2012 the Community had 22 members.