Fulford Methodist Chapel

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Fulford Methodist Chapel

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • Fulford Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1820-2010

History

A Methodist Society was first formed in Fulford in 1799 but it was not until 1820 that a permanent chapel was built on Back, later School, Lane, on a plot of donated land.

The Fulford congregation soon outgrew its first chapel however and between 1845 and 1846 a new and larger building was erected on Main Street with a schoolroom attached, the site having been purchased from a prominent local Wesleyan Methodist, George Davies. The first service at the new chapel was preached by Reverend John Rattenbury of Manchester.

At this time Fulford was also home to a branch of the Wesleyan Methodist Missionary Society and a Sunday School.

In 1896 the Main Street chapel was demolished and a new, more modern, chapel and schoolroom was built on the same site.

Originally part of the single York Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, Fulford was part of York, New Street Circuit (later renamed Clifton Circuit) from 1867 and joined the new York, Centenary Circuit in 1888. Following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches in 1932, it remained part of the York, Centenary Circuit of what was now a single Methodist Connexion until 1981 when it joined York, South Circuit.

As a result of the declining congregation, the chapel was closed in 2010 and its congregation combined with that of Melbourne Terrace Methodist Church in York.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

Methodist Connexion, York, South Circuit (1981-2012)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

hierarchical

Type of relationship

Methodist Connexion, York, South Circuit controls Fulford Methodist Chapel

Dates of the relationship

1981-2010

Description of relationship

Related entity

Methodist Connexion, York, Centenary Circuit (c 1932-1981)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

hierarchical

Type of relationship

Methodist Connexion, York, Centenary Circuit controls Fulford Methodist Chapel

Dates of the relationship

c 1932-1981

Description of relationship

Related entity

Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, York, Centenary Circuit (1888-c 1932)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

hierarchical

Type of relationship

Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, York, Centenary Circuit controls Fulford Methodist Chapel

Dates of the relationship

1888-c 1932

Description of relationship

Related entity

Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, York, Clifton Circuit (1867-[1932])

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

hierarchical

Type of relationship

Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, York, Clifton Circuit controls Fulford Methodist Chapel

Dates of the relationship

1867-1888

Description of relationship

Related entity

Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, York Circuit ([1787]-1867)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

hierarchical

Type of relationship

Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, York Circuit controls Fulford Methodist Chapel

Dates of the relationship

1820-1867

Description of relationship

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

GB193

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAAR(CPF): International Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons and Families, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2003); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created by S. A. Shearn, 25.10.16.

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

A P Baggs, G H R Kent and J D Purdy, 'Fulford', in A History of the County of York East Riding: Volume 3, Ouse and Derwent Wapentake, and Part of Harthill Wapentake, ed. K J Allison (London, 1976).

William Camidge, 'Methodism in Fulford' (York, 19--).

Richard Parkin, 'Planning Statement: Fulford Methodist Church' (York, 2011) (https://planningaccess.york.gov.uk/online-applications/files/5DECED9B06E15EEA4A122FA96169FC54/pdf/11_00385_FUL-PLANNING_STATEMENT-1235805.pdf)

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC