- 1875-1928 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.18 cubic metres
7 large folders.
Name of creator
The architectural firm of Wood & Oakley originated in 1927 when William H. Wood of Newcastle went into partnership with Edmund Oakley. Prior to this, Wood had been operating as W. H. Wood, having taken over the practice of Charles Hodgson Fowler at his death in 1910.
Both Wood and Hodgson Fowler specialised in ecclesiastical architecture. Hodgson Fowler had trained under Sir George Gilbert Scott, architect to the Dean and Chapter of Durham, and held the position of Clerk of Works to Durham Cathedral, in addition to architect to Rochester and Lincoln Cathedrals and diocesan architect for Lincoln, York and Durham.
Wood had begun his career in Newcastle upon Tyne with the architectural firm Oliver & Leeson, eventually rising to become a partner in the firm which was thereafter known as Oliver, Leeson & Wood. At the time of Hodgson Fowler’s death in 1910 Wood had been negotiating to join his practice as a partner. After taking over the practice he continued to operate from both Durham and Newcastle until c.1912 after which time he was based solely at Collingwood Street in Newcastle.
References to Wood & Oakley cease to appear in trade directories after 1939.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material