- 1947-1967 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.16 cubic metres
Name of creator
Harry James Stammers was born in London in 1902. He began working for stained glass manufacturer Powell & Sons in 1918 at the age of 16, remaining with them until 1943 when he went to work for J. Wippell & Co of Exeter, a firm supplying church furnishings and stained glass. Two years later, he founded his own studio in Exeter.
In 1947 Eric Milner-White, then Dean of York, invited Stammers and his assistant Harry Harvey to move to the city and establish a new stained glass workshop, reviving the tradition of the York School of Glass Painting. Stammers accepted and his work at York re-established the city’s pre-eminence in British stained glass.
Examples of his work in York include windows for St Olave’s Church, the Chapel of the York College for Girls in Petergate, and St Martin le Grand church in Coney Street, the latter being part of a wholesale reconstruction of the church by architect George Pace.
Beyond York, Stammers’ work included windows for St Mary’s Church, Scarborough, St Mark’s Church, Sheffield, St Anselm’s Chapel in Canterbury Cathedral, St Michael’s College Chapel in Llandaff (built by George Pace) and the four ‘Airmen’s Memorial windows’ at Lincoln Cathedral. He also contributed stained glass to Seoul Cathedral in South Korea.
Harry Stammers retired in 1960 and moved to Bradwell, near Milton Keynes, where he died in 1969.