Showing 99 results

Archival descriptions
The Retreat Archive file
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

Moorlands

Photographs are of Moorlands Garden. All different views; two are large photographs, rest are small in size. Pictured are daffodils, rhododendrons, pond, trees and general views of the garden.

Gainsborough House, Scarborough

Photographs 1-2 (duplicates, with one slightly sharper) show what is presumably Gainsborough House, with a man leaning against railings, and the house beyond the railings.Photograph 3, which is probably also Gainsborough House, shows a very large ...

Throxenby Hall, Scarborough

Photograph 1 is the exterior of Throxenby Hall.Photograph 2 shows the drawing room.Photograph 3 shows the dining room. Photograph 4 shows the smoke room.Photographs 5-6 were taken in October 1920: photograph 5 shows Miss Gray-Williams in the groun...

Retreat Central Building, exterior views

The central building incorporates the original building with subsequent extensions and additions; it contains the main entrance door of the RetreatPhotographs are arranged in 4 parts

Belle Vue House

Belle Vue House, a residence very near to the Retreat, was acquired by the Retreat for a Ladies Villa in 1879. It remained in use as such until replaced by West Villa, (see RET 1/8/2/4). It was later used for nurses’ accommodation and training. In...

Recreation Room

The Recreation Room was a purpose built extension at the front of the Retreat, opened in 1909 after the demolition of the old Medical Superintendent’s house on the site.Photographs are arranged in 3 parts.

Gentlemen's Lodge

This was originally built 1816-17 and rebuilt in 1875-77. It subsequently became Naomi Ward, an admission ward for womenPhotographs are arranged in 7 parts.

West Villa and Ladies' Hospital

West Villa, or the Ladies’ Lodge was begun in 1880 but was not completed until 1890-1. It was situated on the end of the extension to the south west wing, and therefore on the garden or south side of the Retreat complex. The Villa became an admiss...

East Villa

East Villa was a detached building in the grounds, built in 1881, for GentlemenPhotographs are arranged in 4 parts

Garrow Hill House

Garrow Hill Estate was acquired by The Retreat in 1927.Photographs are arranged in 2 parts.

Naomi Ward

Naomi Ward is situated in the former Gentleman's Lodge building.Photographs arranged in 8 parts.

Results 1 to 20 of 99