Print preview Close

Showing 2126 results

Archival descriptions
series
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

MOORLANDS, NEAR YORK

The Retreat bought Moorlands Estate, six miles from York, between Wigginton and Skelton, in 1940. The Estate comprised a house (which was subject to a lease in 1940), grounds, woodlands and two farms. The aim of the purchase was to ensure that aft...

MILLFIELD, YORK

Millfield, Hull Road, York, was acquired in September 1919 for ‘borderland cases’ in the early stages of nervous and mental disorder, with the possibility that it might also be used as accommodation for Retreat staff.The Millfield estate comprised...

THE APPENDAGE, YORK

The Appendage was a house near Walmgate Bar, purchased in 1810 and opened in 1811 as an annexe to the Retreat. It accommodated about a dozen patients who did not need very close confinement. Its acquisition allowed the Retreat to meet the increasi...

RETREAT OPERATING THEATRE

The operation of pre-frontal leucotomy was introduced into the UK in 1943 and in that year six Retreat patients were given pre-frontal-leucotomies.Such operations at the Retreat in the early 1940s were performed by a surgeon from the Department of...

INSULIN COMA THERAPY

Insulin coma therapy (insulin shock therapy) was introduced at the Retreat in October 1938 for treatment of patients with schizophrenia and other affective psychosis. This followed favourable reports of the treatment at the Annual Meeting of the M...

Results 2041 to 2060 of 2126