Affichage de 89 résultats

Description archivistique
The Retreat Archive Série organique
Options de recherche avancée
Aperçu avant impression Affichage :

GAINSBOROUGH HOUSE AND THROXENBY HALL, SCARBOROUGH

The Retreat rented properties on the Yorkshire coast for some years with the purpose of allowing patients annual holidays. It was decided in the 1880s to rent or purchase a property to have a year round convalescent home which could also be used f...

Papers relating to York Lunatic Asylum

These papers all relate to the controversies at York Lunatic Asylum in the early 19th c. Samuel Tuke was one of the reforming party who eventually effected reform in the asylum's staffing and management, and he subsequently became closely inv...

Lectures on psychological medicine given at York Medical School

York Medical School existed between the years 1834 and 1859.From the academic year 1856-7 and up to the School’s closure, students were offered, in the summer session, a course of lectures on ‘Psychological Medicine’, by Daniel Hack Tuke.D.H. Tuke...

Slave trade papers

It is not clear how these few items came to the Retreat: they may have been gathered at the time (the petition is by the Retreat's own servants); but they might have been donated to the Retreat later on, as many papers of historical interest ...

Retreat Psychiatrists' private consulting practice

Retreat psychiatrists also acted as consultants, seeing private patients and patients referred to them by other doctors. Private patients were seen either at the Retreat, or at consulting rooms elsewhere.Such consulting work formally began under D...

Papers relating to other asylums

These include some manuscript and some printed material. Some of these items are here because of the connections of Retreat staff; others must have been sent to, or acquired by, The Retreat, in some cases for comparative purposes. Other asylums ha...

Papers relating to the Society of Friends

Some of these are papers found loose among various assortments of other papers. Some relate to individuals with some connection with The Retreat, some relate to topics of interest to, or about, Quakers. They include an original file of papers on Q...

TRAINED NURSES DEPARTMENT

The Trained Nurses Department began in early April 1908, an extension of the Private Nursing Department successfully commenced by the Retreat in 1902. The Trained Nurses Department had a separate location, at 4 Belle Vue Terrace. The function of ...

PENSIONS

At public asylums, pensions were available for officers and servants under legislation passed as early as 1853. However, private institutions like the Retreat were not covered by this and subsequent statutory provision. The Lunacy Commissioners re...

RETREAT MAGAZINES

Issues of Harbour Lights, 1923-1941; Old Tuke's Almanak, 1952-1954; and Phoenix, 1956 -1959.

MOORLANDS, NEAR YORK

The Retreat bought Moorlands Estate, six miles from York, between Wigginton and Skelton, in 1940. The Estate comprised a house (which was subject to a lease in 1940), grounds, woodlands and two farms. The aim of the purchase was to ensure that aft...

MILLFIELD, YORK

Millfield, Hull Road, York, was acquired in September 1919 for ‘borderland cases’ in the early stages of nervous and mental disorder, with the possibility that it might also be used as accommodation for Retreat staff.The Millfield estate comprised...

THE APPENDAGE, YORK

The Appendage was a house near Walmgate Bar, purchased in 1810 and opened in 1811 as an annexe to the Retreat. It accommodated about a dozen patients who did not need very close confinement. Its acquisition allowed the Retreat to meet the increasi...

Résultats 1 à 20 sur 89