- 1785-1992 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.1 cubic metres
Name of creator
A Wesleyan Chapel was built on Front Street in Acomb in 1821, and was replaced by the new Trinity Chapel in 1879. In 1947 the congregation of Trinity Chapel amalgamated with that of the Primitive Methodist Sanctuary Chapel, which had opened in 1912.
Trinity Chapel was part of the York, Wesley Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion until 1935 when the York, Wesley and Victoria Bar Circuits joined together and it became part of a new, enlarged Wesley Circuit of a single Methodist Connexion.
Trinity Chapel closed in October 1964 and the present Acomb Methodist Church opened a week later.
Name of creator
Acomb Methodist Church was built in 1964, replacing the two earlier chapels of the Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists, Sanctuary and Trinity. The building was paid for in part by the sale of Sanctuary Chapel.
Initially part of the York, Wesley Circuit of the Methodist Connexion, in 1981 it joined York, South Circuit and in 2012 it became part of the new single York Circuit of the Methodist Connexion.
As of 2016 it remains in use.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Register of baptisms 1847-1930.
Records of Trustees, including minute books, 1875-1931, account book, 1953-1980, and papers concerning resignations and appointments, 1941; Church Council/Leaders’ papers, including minute books for Sanctuary Chapel, 1927-1947, minute books for Trinity Chapel, 1875-1931, 1938-1964, and a general minute book, 1974-1987; correspondence relating to the "League of Nations" and work with other churches, including a report on work at Askham Bryan, 1920-1926; correspondence and papers of Walter Edwards, including committee minutes and information concerning the united effort of Acomb churches, 1960-1966; and circuit plan for the York (Wesley) circuit, 1871.
Financial records, including correspondence and papers of the finance committee, 1975-1982, bills and receipts relating to building work, 1878-1880, papers and correspondence relating to investments, 1926-1945, account books, 1945-1992, and papers concerning the introduction of the envelope scheme, 1921-1928; and meeting minutes, correspondence, receipts and publicity relating to fundraising events, 1941-1951.
Property records, including papers relating to 15 The Green, Acomb, 1894-1929, and deeds and other papers relating to property owned by the chapel, 1785-1929; papers concerning the closure of Trinity and Sanctuary Chapels and the building of Acomb Methodist Church, including building plans and specifications, correspondence, accounts, maps, promotional material and press cuttings, 1944-1967.
Records of chapel groups and associations, comprising Womens' Work Meeting minute book, 1951-1981, with statement of income, 1984; and minutes, correspondence and papers relating to Acomb District Girl Guides Association, 1968-1978.
Historical material, including poster advertising the opening of the new Methodist chapel, 1821, and orders of service for jubilee services, 1898-1929.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material