- 1910-1947 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.03 cubic metres
Name of creator
A chapel was originally built on the Green at Acomb in 1846 for the joint use of the Primitive Methodist and Free Church congregation. Around 1860 the Primitive Methodists purchased the building outright and carried out a number of alterations before they re-opened it as a Primitive Methodist Chapel in 1860. The opening ceremony included a performance by the Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Chapel choir.
Originally part of the York Circuit of the Primitive Methodist Connexion, the Front Street chapel transferred to the new Victoria Bar Circuit after the original York Circuit was divided into two in 1883.
The chapel site was sold to the Society of Friends in 1911 and a new Primitive Methodist chapel was opened on Front Street, Acomb, in 1912, which later became known as Sanctuary Chapel.
In 1947 the congregation of the Sanctuary Chapel united with that of the Acomb, Wesleyan Trinity Chapel and Sanctuary Chapel ceased to be used for worship. The building was demolished in the 1960s.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material