- 1912-1919 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.01 cubic metres
Name of creator
A Methodist chapel was built in Alne in 1848. It was extensively renovated in 1894 under the Easingwold Circuit Chapel Rebuilding and Renovation Scheme, with the addition of new windows, a new porch, and improved seating. At this time the chapel could accommodate around 200 people.
The chapel was demolished in 1969 and an adjoining schoolroom was renovated and adapted to serve as a new chapel building.
It was part of the Easingwold Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion until the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches in 1932, after which it continued as part of the Easingwold Circuit of the single Methodist Connexion. In 1972 Alne became part of the new York, North Circuit.
The chapel closed in 2003 and today the local Methodist community hold joint services in Alne Anglican parish church and at Tholthorpe Methodist Chapel. As of 2016 the community remains part of the York Circuit of the Methodist Church.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Trustees' meeting minute book, 1912; agreement to pay annual sum for access to fuel and water pipes to chapel running across private land, 1919.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material