- 1876-1927 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.01 cubic metres
Name of creator
A Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built in Chapel Lane at Askham Bryan in 1836. It was replaced by a new chapel in 1893, which was the gift of Mr John Francis Taylor of York and which could accommodate around 80 people. The earlier structure subsequently became a private house.
Originally part of the single York Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, Askham Bryan Chapel became part of the new York, Wesley Circuit of the Wesleyan Connexion from 1867.
It is unclear when the 1893 chapel ceased to be used for worship but as of 2016 it is used as the village hall.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material