- 1872-2009 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.1 cubic metres
Name of creator
A Methodist mission was set up for a short time in Bishopthorpe in 1793 but it was not until the 1820s that a more permanent Society was established and regular meetings held in the village.
At first the congregation met in private houses and then in a disused granary. In 1832 a wealthy local resident, Mr Labron, donated a plot of land to the Society for the building of a permanent chapel. The costs of building were raised by subscription, including a donation from the Archbishop of York, William Harcourt, and the new Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was completed in May 1833.
By the 1890s extensive repairs were needed and the decision was made to erect a new chapel instead. Land was donated by Miss Taylor of Holly Bank House, the daughter of John Francis Taylor, and the new Chapel was opened in 1899 at the junction of Main Street, Copmanthorpe Lane and Sim Balk Lane. A church hall was added in 1994.
Originally part of the single York Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, it became part of the new York, Wesley Circuit from 1867. Following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches in 1932, the Wesley Circuit merged with the York, Victoria Bar Circuit, but retained its original name. In 1981 Bishopthorpe Chapel became part of the new York, South Circuit of the Methodist Connexion.
Today the church is known as Bishopthorpe Methodist Church and, since 2012, has been part of the single York Circuit of the Methodist Connexion. It holds a number of joint services with the Anglican parish church of St Andrew's, Bishopthorpe.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Trustees' meeting minute books, 1876-1967, with list of Trustees, 1872; annual Trust accounts, 1966, and financial statement, 1976-1977; collection journals, 1928-1974; church notices books, 1975-1983; book for congregational intercessionary prayers, 2005-2009; report on damp in the chapel, 1966; quotation for printing of exterior brickwork of chapel, 1968.
Unlisted material, 1890s-2007.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material