- 1851-1934 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.01 cubic metres
Name of creator
A Primitive Methodist chapel was built on Main Street, Claxton, in 1850. It was part of the York Circuit of the Primitive Methodist Connexion until 1883, when the Circuit was divided into two. Thereafter the chapel was part of the York, First Circuit of the Primitive Methodist Connexion (renamed the York, Monkgate Circuit from 1903).
It remained in use after the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches into a single Methodist Church of Great Britain in 1932 and would appear to have replaced Claxton Wesleyan Chapel as the village's main Methodist place of worship. The chapel was extended in 1961 and again in 1985.
It is unclear which Circuit the chapel belonged to after the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches in 1932. A Claxton Chapel was certainly part of Clifton & Monkgate Circuit until 1972 and then part of York, North Circuit until 2007.
The chapel was closed on 12 December 2007 and was later converted into a private residence.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Trustees' Treasurer's accounts, 1851-1934, with notes of Trustees' meetings, 1875, 1895.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material