- 1875-1990s (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.06 cubic metres
Name of creator
A Methodist mission was active in Copmanthorpe from 1787 but it was not until 1821 that a building in the village was leased to the Methodist Society for use as a Wesleyan Chapel. It was later restored and enlarged in 1883. In 1879 the Wesleyan church purchased the Methodist Free Church in the village and converted it into a Sunday School.
In 1958 the Society built a new church on Main Street to replace the earlier structure, and a new extension was added to accommodate the growing congregation in 1981.
Originally part of the single York Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, it 1867 the chapel became part of the new York, Wesley Circuit. Following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches in 1932 it remained part of the new and enlarged York, Wesley Circuit of the Methodist Connexion. In 1981 it became part of York, South Circuit and since 2012 it has been part of a single York Circuit.
As of 2016 the chapel is still in use.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Trustees' meeting minute books, 1875-1900, 1902-1977, and correspondence and papers, 1969-1977; Methodist Society minutes, 1961-1965, with Leaders' meeting minutes, 1962-1980; Church Council meeting minutes, 1981-1986; correspondence of the property and finance committee, 1984; Thursday Guild minute book, 1962-1980; Women's Fellowship annual reports, 1960-1981; Sunday School teachers' meeting minutes, 1963-1987; correspondence, reports and bills concerning the extension of the church, 1969-1981; collection journal, 1952-1964; church notice book, 1982-1984, and weekly notice sheets, 1982-1997; commemorative book for leaving minister and his wife, 1990s.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material