- 1881-2004 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.01 cubic metres
Name of creator
A Methodist Society was formed at Deighton in 1807 but the first permanent Wesleyan chapel was not built until 1880. The chapel was erected on land given by Lord Wenlock on Main Street and could accommodate 130 people. It was designed by Edward Taylor of York.
Originally part of York, New Street Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, Deighton became part of the new York, Centenary Circuit from 1888. Following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches in 1932, Deighton remained part of York, Centenary Circuit of the new Methodist Connexion and joined York, South Circuit in 1981.
The chapel was put up for sale in 2012.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Register of baptisms, 1881-2004; chapel collection, 1911.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material