- 1868-1991 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.023 cubic metres
Name of creator
The earliest reference to Methodism in Dunnington was in 1768 when a contribution was made to the Methodist Quarter Board. A Wesleyan Methodist Society was later formed there in 1791 and by the 1840s regular meetings were being held in private houses.
A Wesleyan chapel may have existed on York Street as early as 1805 but it was not until 1864 that land was obtained for the building of the present chapel in the village on Common Road. The Dunnington Wesleyan Methodist Church opened in November 1868 and remains the home of what is now known as Dunnington Methodist Church.
Originally part of the York, New Street Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, Dunnington became part of the new York, Centenary Circuit from 1888. Following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches in 1932, it continued as part of the York, Centenary Circuit of the single Methodist Connexion until 1981 when it joined York, South Circuit. In 2012 it became part of a single York Circuit of the Methodist Connexion.
As of 2016 the chapel is still in use.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Trustees' meeting minute book, 1942-1966; Trustees' cash books, 1868-1969; collection journals, 1927-1968; general church and property accounts, 1977-1991; class books, containing directions for class leaders, rules of the Methodist Society and weekly accounts, 1923-1939; Sunday School records, including minutes, 1891-1922, cash books, 1879-1947, and roll books, 1912-1943; Wesley Guild roll book, 1933-1948; notebook giving details of Sunday services, 1934-1936; description of the foundation of the chapel in 1868, 1980s.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material