- 1845-2010 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.07 cubic metres
Name of creator
A Methodist Society was first formed in Fulford in 1799 but it was not until 1820 that a permanent chapel was built on Back, later School, Lane, on a plot of donated land.
The Fulford congregation soon outgrew its first chapel however and between 1845 and 1846 a new and larger building was erected on Main Street with a schoolroom attached, the site having been purchased from a prominent local Wesleyan Methodist, George Davies. The first service at the new chapel was preached by Reverend John Rattenbury of Manchester.
At this time Fulford was also home to a branch of the Wesleyan Methodist Missionary Society and a Sunday School.
In 1896 the Main Street chapel was demolished and a new, more modern, chapel and schoolroom was built on the same site.
Originally part of the single York Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, Fulford was part of York, New Street Circuit (later renamed Clifton Circuit) from 1867 and joined the new York, Centenary Circuit in 1888. Following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches in 1932, it remained part of the York, Centenary Circuit of what was now a single Methodist Connexion until 1981 when it joined York, South Circuit.
As a result of the declining congregation, the chapel was closed in 2010 and its congregation combined with that of Melbourne Terrace Methodist Church in York.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Register of baptisms, 1845-2001; register of marriages, 1925-2010.
Records of Trustees, including minutes of meetings, 1860-1995, accounts, 1845-1993, and bank book, 1962-1971; Leaders’ meetings minute book, 1909-1930, 1959-1972; minutes of annual meetings of the Methodist Society, 1959-1966, and Society Stewards’ books, 1904-1912, 1935-1949.
Financial records, including chapel account book, 1847-1910, cash book, 1903-1905, pew rents account book, 1884-1917, collection journals, 1911-1980, and envelope scheme account book, 1989-2004.
Property and fabric papers, including original chapel deeds, 1845-1962, papers concerning the sale of the chapel, 2010-2012, and other related papers, 1985-2004; and quinquennial inspection report, 1990, 1995.
Records of chapel groups and associations, comprising Sunday School records, including minutes of council meetings, 1903-1933, minutes of teachers’ meetings, 1861-1904, 1907-1908, accounts, 1890-1958, register of attendance, 1886-1896, and papers concerning additions and alterations to the school, 1924-1926; Juvenile Missionary Association and Sunday School Collections account book, 1963-1981; Methodist Guild minute book, 1944-1962; Young People’s Guild minutes, 1920-1938, and accounts, 1920-1935; Young Wives Club minute book, 1963-1977; and Women’s Meeting records, including minute book, 1922-1967, and ‘Outing Club’ book, 1922-1971.
Historical material, comprising papers of Miss M. Horner, including notes concerning the 90th anniversary of the chapel building, 1986, pamphlet ‘Two Brave Women’ concerning the missionary work of Mrs Lyth and Mrs Calvert, 1960s; poetry anthology, n.d., and photographs of County Primary School pupils and staff, 1950s.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material