- 1863-1981 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.01 cubic metres
Name of creator
A Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built at Gate Helmsley in 1814. It was replaced by a new, larger chapel in 1864.
Originally part of the single York Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, Gate Helmsley became part of York, New Street Circuit (later renamed Clifton Circuit) in 1867 and was transferred to the new York, Centenary Circuit in 1888. Following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches in 1932, it remained part of the York, Centenary Circuit of what was now a single Methodist Connexion until its closure.
The chapel was closed c.1978 and subsequently sold.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material