- 1844-1994 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.02 cubic metres
Name of creator
Methodism is believed to have been active in Heslington since 1812 and a chapel was opened there by the Wesleyan Methodist Association, a group of Protestant Methodists, as early as 1832.
The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built on Main Street in 1844 and remained in use until the 1940s, when it became the village meeting room. A second Methodist chapel, built by the Independent Methodists in 1847 and later acquired by the Primitive Methodists, was in use until 1971.
Originally part of the single York Circuit of the Wesleyan Connexion, the Wesleyan chapel at Heslington joined York, New Street Circuit in 1867 and then transferred to the new York, Centenary Circuit in 1888. It remained part of the Centenary Circuit of the now single Methodist Connexion following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches in 1932.
Following the closure of the last Methodist chapel in the village in 1971, the Methodist Church arranged for its congregation to share the Anglican parish church of St Paul's. As of 2016 St Paul's is known as Heslington Church and is a local ecumenical partnership between the Church of England and the Methodist Church.
Since 2012 the Methodist congregation have been part of the single York Circuit of the Methodist Connexion.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Register of baptisms, 1919-1988; registers of marriages, 1975-1994; Trustees' records, including memorandum of appointment, 1905, meeting minutes, 1864, 1916, 1967-1974, and declaration upon adopting the new model deed, 1944; general church meeting and Church Council meeting minute book, 1967-1990; Society stewards' account book, 1844-1919; certified copy of 1854 certificate of place of meeting for religious worship, 1920.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material