- 1894 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.01 cubic metres
Name of creator
A Wesleyan chapel was first built at Huby in 1801. It was situated in a farm yard at the rear of some houses and was not visible from the village steet, a disadvantage that was finally corrected in 1894 when a new chapel was built under the Easingwold Wesleyan Circuit Chapel Renovation Scheme.
The new site was donated by local landowner Mr Kilvington at the south end of the village. The chapel was designed by Mr Wills of Derby and a schoolroom was added in 1901.
Huby was part of the Easingwold Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion until c.1932 when, following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches it became part of the Easingwold Circuit of what was now a single Methodist Connexion. In 1972 it became part of York, North Circuit.
The chapel was extensively refurbished in 1989. As of 2016, it is still in use. Since 2012 it has been part of the York Circuit of the Methodist Connexion.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material