- 1899-2008 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.01 cubic metres
Name of creator
A Wesleyan Methodist chapel was first built at Huntington in 1825. It was enlarged in 1867 and rebuilt in 1900. The new chapel, designed by Edward Taylor of York, could accommodate 133 worshippers and included a schoolroom for 84 children.
Originally part of the single York Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, in 1867 it became part of the York, New Street Circuit (renamed Clifton Circuit in 1909). Following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches in 1932, it continued as part of the York, Clifton Circuit of what was now a unified Methodist Connexion until 1957, when it joined York, Clifton & Monkgate Circuit. In 1972 it became part of York, North Circuit.
As of 2016 it is still in use. Since 2012 it has been part of the York Circuit of the Methodist Church.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Records of Trustees, including meeting minute book, 1899-1962, and form of resolution for appointing new trustees, 1951; Stewards' meeting minute book, 1993-2009; financial records, including bank books, 1899-1905, and cheque book stubs, 1899-1905; Women's Circle records, including minutes of committee meetings, 1970-1990, accounts, 2007-2008, programmes for evening meetings, 1976-2010, and circular concerning future of group, 2008.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material