- 1813-1972 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.01 cubic metres
Name of creator
The first Methodist Chapel was established at Haxby in 1782 in North Lane. In 1813 the congregation moved to a new, larger chapel on the road called The Village, but numbers continued to expand and in 1879 the present day Methodist Chapel was built close to the parish boundary with Wigginton.
Originally part of the single York Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, in 1867 Haxby & Wigginton became part of the new York, New Street Circuit (renamed Clifton Circuit from 1909). Following the unification of the Wesleyan, Primitive and United Methodist churches in 1932, the chapel continued as part of the Clifton Circuit of what was now a single Methodist Connexion. In 1957 it became part of the Clifton & Monkgate Circuit (also known as Trinity Circuit) and in 1972 it became part of York, North Circuit.
The chapel was refurbished in the 1970s and extended in 1995. As of 2016 it is still in use. It has been part of the York Circuit of the Methodist Connexion since 2012.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Trustees' treasurer's account book, 1813-1879, including names of Trustees, 1827, and subscriptions and accounts for taking down and rebuilding the chapel, 1813; list of subscriptions promised, n.d.; records of the Wesley Guild, including minute books, 1921-1972, and roll call, 1964-1972; Society stewards' account book, 1949-1957.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material