- 1824-1988 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.02 cubic metres
Name of creator
The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built on Main Street at Hessay in 1824. The land on which it was built may have been given by the Nottinghams, a prominent local Methodist family.
Originally part of the single York Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, in 1867 Hessay joined the new York, Wesley Circuit. Following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches in 1932, the Wesley and Victoria Bar Circuits merged and Hessay continued as part of an enlarged York, Wesley Circuit of what was now a single Methodist Connexion until 1981, when it joined York, South Circuit.
As of 2016 the chapel is still in use. Since 2012 it has been part of the York Circuit of the Methodist Connexion.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Trustees' meetings minute book, 1876-1976; accounts, 1824-1903; analysis of circuit and church life questionnaire for Hessay Chapel, 1983; order of service for inauguration of local ecumenical project, 1988.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material