- 1937-1945 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.01 cubic metres
Name of creator
A Methodist Society was established at Lockon in 1797 but it wasn't until 1822 that a permanent Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built in the village. It was later rebuilt in 1876.
A second chapel was built by the Primitive Methodists in 1849. This was rebuilt in 1899 and became the main Methodist chapel in the village following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches in 1932.
Lockton was part of the Pickering Circuit of the Methodist Connexion and then of the Ryedale Circuit.
Lockton Methodist Chapel closed in 2015.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material