- 1862-1982 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.01 cubic metres
Name of creator
The Wesleyan Chapel at Murton, near York, was built in 1862. It was designed by Edward Taylor of York and could accommodate up to 70 people. At the time of its foundation it was the only church or chapel in the village.
Originally part of the single York Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, it joined York, New Street Circuit (renamed Clifton Circuit in 1903) in 1867 and was transferred to the new York, Centenary Circuit in 1888. Following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches in 1932, Murton continued as part of the York, Centenary Circuit of what was now a unified Methodist Connexion.
The chapel was closed in the 1970s and the building was later sold.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material