- 1899-1946 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.01 cubic metres
Name of creator
Nun Monkton was part of the Knaresborough Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion from 1798. In 1826 a thatched cottage in the village was purchased by William Dodsworth and Mr Sayer, the village schoolmaster, to be the site of a permanent Methodist chapel.
The new chapel was paid for by subscription and was built to a plain square design. It was later renovated to include better insulation and heating, more comfortable seating and a small harmonium.
In 1892 the chapel was transferred to the York, Wesley Circuit of the Wesleyan Connexion and in 1899 the existing chapel was replaced by a new and more modern structure adjoining the village green, designed by Messrs Hornsey and Monkman.
Following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches in 1932, the York, Wesley and Victoria Bar Circuits were joined together and Nun Monkton continued as part of an enlarged York, Wesley Circuit of what was now a single Methodist Connexion.
The chapel was sold in 1945.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material