fonds MR/NAB - Society records of the Methodist Church, Naburn Methodist Chapel

Identity area

Reference code

MR/NAB

Title

Society records of the Methodist Church, Naburn Methodist Chapel

Date(s)

  • 1923-1984 (Creation)

Level of description

fonds

Extent and medium

0.01 cubic metres

1 box

Context area

Name of creator

(1818-1970)

Administrative history

A Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built in the back lane east of Naburn in 1818 and replaced with a larger, more central building in 1857, although by 1877 it was said to be poorly attended.

Originally part of the single York Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, it joined York, New Street Circuit in 1867 (later renamed Clifton Circuit) and was transferred to York, Centenary Circuit in 1888. Following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches in 1932 it continued as part of the York, Centenary Circuit of what was now a single Methodist Connexion.

It was closed in 1970 and the chapel and land was later sold.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

The archive was deposited at the Borthwick Institute in 1984. A further addition was made to the archive in 1999.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Records of Trustees, including meeting minute books, 1955-1972, account book, 1923-1972, and bank book, 1934-1970; financial records, including bank statements, 1970-1972, correspondence about investments and the closure of the chapel's account, 1971-1972, and papers relating to the sale and disbursement of proceeds from sale of Naburn chapel and land, 1970-1972.

Accruals

Further accruals are not expected.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Records are open to the public, subject to the overriding provisions of relevant legislation, including data protection laws. 24 hours' notice is required to access photographic material.

Conditions governing reproduction

A reprographics service is available to researchers subject to the access restrictions outlined above. Copying will not be undertaken if there is any risk of damage to the document. Copies are supplied in accordance with the Borthwick Institute for Archives' terms and conditions for the supply of copies, and under provisions of any relevant copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce images of documents in the custody of the Borthwick Institute must be sought.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

A typescript finding aid, to file level, is available for consultation in the searchroom of the Borthwick Institute.

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Minutes of the United Leaders' meetings of Stillingfleet, Naburn and Deighton chapels, 1966-1984, are deposited at the Borthwick Institute with the parish records of Stillingfleet. An additional letter concerning the condition of Naburn Chapel, 1979, is deposited with the records of Murton Wesleyan Methodist Chapel.

Circuit records for the York Circuit, York, New Street and York, Centenary Circuits of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, and York, Centenary Circuit of the Methodist Connexion are also deposited at the Borthwick Institute. The records of the York Circuit and York, New Street Circuit form a single archive (MRC/1), as do the records of both Centenary Circuits (MRC/3).

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

GB193

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAD (G): General International Standard Archival Description, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2000); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created by S. A. Shearn, 01.12.16.

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area