- 1871-1938 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.01 cubic metres
Name of creator
A Methodist Society was founded in Osbaldwick in 1813. Meetings were initially held in private houses and it was not until 1871 that a permanent chapel was built on a piece of land opposite the Moat Field, donated by Thomas Allis, a Quaker and Superintendent of The Retreat hospital, York.
The chapel was renovated in 1899 to include a new organ, and extended in 1918 to create additional space for a schoolroom. At its height, the chapel ran a popular Sunday School and youth choir.
However by the 1930s attendance had dwindled and in 1937 the remaining congregation were transferred to St George's Methodist Chapel on Millfield Lane, York. In 1938 the chapel was purchased by St Thomas Church of England Parochial Church Council for parish use. It was sold again in 1969 to Osbaldwick Parish Council for community use.
Originally part of the York, New Street Circuit (later renamed Clifton Circuit), Osbaldwick was transferred to the new York, Centenary Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion at its creation in 1888.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material