- 1848-2005 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.02 cubic metres
Name of creator
In 1757 John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, preached on the village green at Upper Poppleton. A Methodist Society was subsequently formed in the village, its members meeting for worship in a barn until 1817 when the first Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built.
A new chapel was opened on The Green in 1892 at a cost of £950, and the old chapel was demolished in the early twentieth century to may way for a new Sunday School. The chapel was extended in the 1970s and 1980s.
Originally part of the York Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, in 1867 Poppleton became part of the York, Wesley Circuit. Following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches in 1932, Wesley Circuit joined with York, Victoria Bar Circuit to form the new York, Wesley Circuit of what was now a single Methodist Connexion. In 1981 Poppleton joined York, South Circuit.
As of 2016 it is still in use. Since 2012 it has been part of the York Circuit of the Methodist Connexion.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Trustees’ treasurer’s account book, 1848-1947, 1969-1977; minutes of Church Council, 1980-1982; financial records, comprising Finance Committee minutes, 1973-1980, chapel collection journal, 1905-1922, and various accounts, including accounts for New Chapel Subscription Fund, 1888-1890, Restoration and Alteration of Old Chapel Fund, 1891-1893, New Sunday School and Institute Building Fund, 1906-1910, and Sunday School Endowment Fund, 1910-1911; Band of Hope meeting minutes, 1901-1912; Sunday School teachers’ minute book, 1887-1920, treasurer’s accounts, 1873-1910, and teachers’ roll giving names, addresses, dates of appointment and leaving, reason for leaving and attendence, 1916-1926; Junior Guild scrapbook of correspondence, programmes and photographs, c.1950-1976; order of service for dedication of church extension, 1984; analysis of circuit church life questionnaire for Upper Poppleton chapel, 1983; contents of foundation stone bottle, c.1889; programmes, tickets and press cuttings for fund raising events, 1888-1911; photographs of chapel fete, 1911.
Unlisted material, 1948-2005.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material