- 1894-1928 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.01 cubic metres
Name of creator
The first Wesleyan Methodist Chapel at Raskelf was built in 1835. It was later superseded by a new chapel erected on West Moor Road in 1894, on a site purchased from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The old chapel was purchased by the Parish Council and became the parish hall.
The chapel was part of the Easingwold Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion. Following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches in 1932, this became the Easingwold Circuit of what was now a unified Methodist Connexion, although it is unclear if the chapel at Raskelf was still active at this time. Raskelf was also included in the York, North Circuit which was formed in 1974.
The 1894 chapel was later converted into a private residence. Monthly Methodist services are now held at the Anglican parish church.
Since 2012 the Methodist congregation at Raskelf has been part of the single York Circuit of the Methodist Church.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Papers concerning the appointment of trustees, 1928; file of correspondence and papers relating to the sale of the old chapel and schoolroom, 1894-1895; file of correspondence and papers relating to the building of the new chapel, 1894-1895.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material