- 1843-1976 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.01 cubic metres
Name of creator
Methodism was active in Rufforth from the 18th century, as evidenced by the visit of John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, to the village in 1753, when he wrote of an 'earnest congregation' gathered to hear him preach. However it wasn't until 1843 that the local Methodist Society built a permanent chapel on Wetherby Road, on a site donated by Elizabeth Ellis. The opening sermon was preached by Reverend John Rattenbury of Manchester.
The chapel held a weekly Sunday School from 1860 and, following the restoration of the chapel in 1884, a schoolroom was added. The chapel was modernised in 1977, with the addition of a kitchen, toilets and central heating.
Originally part of the single York Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, Rufforth joined the new York, Wesley Circuit in 1867. Following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches in 1932, the Wesley and Victoria Bar Circuits were merged and Rufforth continued as part of an enlarged York, Wesley Circuit of what was now a single Methodist Connexion. In 1981 it joined York, South Circuit.
As of 2016 the chapel is still in use. Since 2012 it has been part of the York Circuit of the Methodist Church.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Trustees' minute book, 1875-1976; Society Steward's account book, 1843-1899; account of subscriptions for chapel alterations, n.d.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material