- 1866-1928 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.01 cubic metres
Name of creator
The foundation stone of the Stamford Bridge Primitive Methodist Chapel was laid in 1866, although a Primitive Methodist Society had been meeting in private houses in the village for some time and were recorded in the 1851 Census of Religious Worship. The site was granted by the Lord Mayor of York and the new chapel was built to accommodate 200 people.
Originally part of the York Circuit of the Primitive Methodist Connexion, it became part of the York First Circuit (renamed York, Monkgate Circuit from 1903) after the original Circuit was divided into two in 1883.
The chapel was closed by 1935 and later used as a store house.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material