- 1894-1977 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.02 cubic metres
Name of creator
John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, preached at Stamford Bridge in 1753, and a house was registered for the use of local Methodists in 1781.
The first permanent Wesleyan Methodist chapel is believed to have been built in 1796. It was certainly present by 1818, when it was registered, and it is mentioned in Edward Baines' 1823 gazetteer of the county of York. It was rebuilt in 1828 and extended in the early twentieth century.
Originally part of the single York Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, Stamford Bridge joined York, New Street Circuit (later renamed Clifton Circuit) in 1867 and was transferred to the new York, Centenary Circuit in 1888. Following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist Churches in 1932, it continued as part of the Centenary Circuit of what was now a unified Methodist Connexion. In 1981 it became part of York, South Circuit.
As of 2016 the chapel is still in use. Since 2012 it has been part of the York Circuit of the Methodist Church.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Records of Trustees, including minute book, 1951-1977, and treasurer's account book, 1894-1949; Society Stewards' account books, 1939-1973; collections journals, 1898-1969; school bank book, 1908-1913; services notices book, 1954-1968; working papers, correspondence and receipts, 1951-1974; and typescript recollections of Reverend George E. Lawrence on the occasion of the 150th anniversary of the chapel, 1978.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material