- 1828-1966 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.01 cubic metres
Name of creator
The earliest reference to a Wesleyan Methodist chapel in Stockton on the Forest was in 1826 when Thomas and Susannah Wilkinson gifted two ground floor rooms at the rear of Stockton House for use as a meeting house or chapel for Methodist services, with a schoolroom attached.
A new chapel was built in the village c.1960 and the church was given permission to sell the old chapel rooms.
Originally part of the single York Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, Stockton Chapel joined York, New Street Circuit (later renamed Clifton Circuit) in 1867. Following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist Churches in 1932, it continued as part of the York, Clifton Circuit of what was now a unified Methodist Connexion. In 1957 it became part of York, Clifton & Monkgate Circuit and from 1972 it was part of York, North Circuit.
The new chapel was later substantially rebuilt but was closed in 2010.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material