- 1930-1973 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.01 cubic metres
Name of creator
The first Methodist Preaching House or chapel was built in Sheriff Hutton in the early 1780s and was certainly present by 1784 when the first Trust Deed was drawn up. The chapel was part of the single York Methodist Circuit until 1800, when it joined the newly created Easingwold Circuit. At that time the Methodist Society in Sheriff Hutton had 25 members, rising to 126 by 1826. In 1822 a separate chapel was built by the Primitive Methodists who had recently split from the main body of the Wesleyan Methodist Church.
The Wesleyan chapel was enlarged in 1820 when Trustees added a vestry on the south side of the building, creating a new entrance on the west side. From 1871 a Circuit minister was resident in the village, based at The Manse, a house opposite the chapel that was leased by the Methodists.
In 1845 a Wesleyan Weekday School was opened by the Society on land to the south of the chapel. A second classroom was added in 1892 and a cottage was purchased for use of the teacher in 1921. It remained open until 1965 when the new primary school opened in the village.
By the early twentieth century, the chapel boasted a Methodist Guild, a choir, a Young People's Association and a Band of Hope which hosted an annual tea. The chapel was renovated over the course of the century, with the addition of electric lighting in 1933, a new vestry stove in 1950, and a new schoolroom kitchen in 1970.
The Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist Churches united in 1932 and Sheriff Hutton continued as part of the Easingwold Circuit of what was now the Methodist Church of Great Britain. The Primitive Methodist Chapel closed in the 1940s and was later demolished. In 1972 Sheriff Hutton became part of the new York, North Circuit, following the amalgamation of Easingwold and York, Clifton & Monkgate Circuits.
However by this time the chapel was falling into a state of disrepair and the decision was made to replace the building entirely. The old chapel was demolished in 1979 and the new and larger chapel opened in November 1980. The old school room was later renovated in 1985 and renamed The Wesley Rooms.
In 2012 York North and South Circuits combined and as of 2016 Sheriff Hutton remains in use and is part of the Easingwold section of the York Circuit of the Methodist Church.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material