fonds MR/SHIP - Society records of the Methodist Church, Shipton Wesleyan Chapel

Identity area

Reference code



Society records of the Methodist Church, Shipton Wesleyan Chapel


  • 1848-1931 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

0.01 cubic metres

1 box

Context area

Name of creator


Administrative history

The first Methodist class was formed in Shipton in 1780. Its members met in private homes until 1817 when a permanent chapel was built on land sold to them by the Dawson family to the west of the main road.

At this time the nearest Anglican parish church was two miles away in the village of Overton. A parish church was built and endowed for Shipton in 1849 and both Methodist and Anglican congregations continued in tandem throughout the nineteenth century, despite the small size of Shipton, whose population never exceeded 440 people. There was also, briefly, a Primitive Methodist chapel between 1868 and 1874.

Shipton Chapel had a Sunday School by 1881. The congregation purchased a new organ in 1903 and the chapel was repaired in 1905.

From the 1920s onwards plans were underway to replace the chapel with a new and more modern building. However it was not until 1955 that a new site was purchased to the east of the main road. The new school-chapel opened later the same year. Plans to build a larger chapel nearby never came to fruition and the old chapel building was sold.

Originally part of the single York Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, Shipton became part of York, New Street Circuit (renamed Clifton in 1909) from 1867. Following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches in 1932, Shipton continued as part of the York, Clifton Circuit of what was now a unified Methodist Connexion. In 1957 it became part of York, Clifton & Monkgate Circuit and from 1972 it was part of the new York, North Circuit. In 2012 it joined the York Circuit of the Methodist Connexion.

In 2013 the chapel ceased to be used for regular worship.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

The archive was deposited at the Borthwick Institute prior to 2013. A further addition was made to the archive in 2013.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Records of Trustees, comprising meetings minute book, 1896-1916, and treasurer's account book, 1848-1849, 1851-1916; plan, elevation and sections of proposed Wesleyan Chapel, with cover letter, 1931.

Unlisted material.


Further accruals are expected.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Records are open to the public, subject to the overriding provisions of relevant legislation, including data protection laws. 24 hours' notice is required to access photographic material.

Conditions governing reproduction

A reprographics service is available to researchers subject to the access restrictions outlined above. Copying will not be undertaken if there is any risk of damage to the document. Copies are supplied in accordance with the Borthwick Institute for Archives' terms and conditions for the supply of copies, and under provisions of any relevant copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce images of documents in the custody of the Borthwick Institute must be sought.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

A typescript finding aid, to file level, is available for consultation in the searchroom of the Borthwick Institute. This includes all material received prior to 2013. Later material has not yet been listed, please contact the Institute for more information.

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Circuit records for the York Circuit and York, New Street (renamed Clifton Circuit) of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion and the York, Clifton; York, Clifton & Monkgate; and York, North Circuits of the Methodist Connexion are also deposited at the Borthwick Institute. These all form a single archive: Circuit records of the Methodist Connexion, York (New Street) Circuit (MRC/1).

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier


Rules and/or conventions used

ISAD (G): General International Standard Archival Description, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2000); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created by S. A. Shearn, 30.11.16.




Accession area