- 1966-1984 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.01 cubic metres
Name of creator
Methodism was introduced to Stillingfleet in the 1760s but it was not until 1819 that a permanent chapel was built on a site donated by Francis Sledge. A Sunday School was founded in 1900. The chapel was refurbished in 1911 and again in 1955.
Originally part of the single York Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, Stillingfleet joined York, New Street Circuit (later renamed Clifton Circuit) in 1867 and was transferred to the new York, Centenary Circuit in 1888. Following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist Churches in 1932, it continued as part of the Centenary Circuit of what was now a unified Methodist Connexion. In 1981 it became part of York, South Circuit.
As of 2016 the chapel shares an ecumenical partnership with the Anglican parish church of St Helen's, Stillingfleet. Since 2012 it has been part of the York Circuit of the Methodist Connexion.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Minutes of the United Leaders' meetings for Stillingfleet, Naburn and Deighton chapels, 1966-1984.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material