- 1935-1977 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.01 cubic metres
Name of creator
A Methodist chapel existed in Stillington from at least 1818, when a house and chapel were recorded as the property of George Walker, leader of the local Methodist Society.
In 1844 a new and larger chapel was built on the same site , with accommodation for 400 people, and in 1860 a day school was built as an extension of the chapel building.
By the 1970s it was apparent that the chapel was too large for the present congregation and the old building was sold and replaced by a new, smaller, chapel which opened in the old schoolroom in 1971.
Stillington was initially part of the Easingwold Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion. Following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist churches in 1932, it continued as part of the Easingwold Circuit of what was now a single Methodist Connexion. In 1972 Stillington joined York, North Circuit.
As of 2016 the chapel is still in use. Since 2012 it has been part of the York Circuit of the Methodist Connexion.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material