- 1874-1988 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.02 cubic metres
Name of creator
A Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built in Church Lane, Strensall, in 1823.
In 1895 the chapel was seriously damaged in a fire and the decision was made replace it entirely. The new red brick chapel opened in 1896 and consisted of two rooms, a chapel and a schoolroom, with seating for 120 worshippers. The old chapel on Church Lane was subsequently known as St Mary's Hall and was used for religious and temperance meetings.
A hall was added to the rear of the chapel in 1993 and the whole building was later renovated and re-opened in 2007.
Originally part of the single York Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, Strensall Chapel joined York, New Street Circuit (later renamed Clifton Circuit) in 1867. Following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist Churches in 1932, it continued as part of the York, Clifton Circuit of what was now a unified Methodist Connexion. In 1957 it became part of York, Clifton & Monkgate Circuit and from 1972 it was part of York, North Circuit.
As of 2016 the chapel is still in use. Since 2012 it has been part of the York Circuit of the Methodist Connexion.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Records of Trustees, including meeting minute books, 1901-1944, and treasurer's accounts, 1874-1910; financial records, including balance sheet, 1897, general account book, 1974-1988, financial statements, 1988, weekly offerings register, 1962-1988, and Society fund account book, 1963-1974.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material