- 1911-1986 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.02 cubic metres
Name of creator
Warthill Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built in 1841. At this time there were 17 members of the Methodist Society in the village and an average chapel attendance of 60 people. The new chapel was small, measuring 24 feet by 17 feet, and cost £110 to build.
Originally part of the single York Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, Warthill joined York, New Street Circuit (later renamed Clifton Circuit) in 1867 and was transferred to the new York, Centenary Circuit in 1888.
Following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist Churches in 1932, it continued as part of the Centenary Circuit of what was now a unified Methodist Connexion. In 1981 it became part of York, South Circuit.
The chapel was closed in 1984 and sold in 1985.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material